Monday, November 11, 2013

Pumpkin Gnocchi

So here's the scoop... I thought we were making pumpkin filled raviolis, but when I talked to my aunt she really wanted to try making pumpkin gnocchi's instead.  We're pretty awesome at making ravs now, we've been doing it for a few years, but gnocchi's we've never tried.  Although really messy, they are so easy & taste delish!

Here's the recipe:
Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes
Cook two pounds of quartered peeled potatoes in boiling water for 20 minutes; drain.
Steep one sprig of sage and 1/4 tsp. nutmeg in 1 cup of hot cream; 10 minutes.
Remove the sage, mash with potatoes, 1 cup pumpkin (real pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling), & salt.

Pumpkin Gnocchi
Mix 2 cups cold, leftover Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes with one egg & 1 1/4 cup flour.
On a floured surface, roll into ropes and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.  
Cook in boiling water until they float.  Toss with butter & grated parmesan.  Or freeze.

make the Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes the night before & refrigerate.

flour is the key, lots of flour because the consistency of the mashed potatoes is really gooey. 

press a floured fork into the dough, place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet & freeze,
or boil immediately.

finished product, tossed with olive oil, salt, & asiago cheese!

What we loved about this was that it's actually two recipes in one.  The Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes are amazing and would be perfect for a Thanksgiving meal.  Sprinkle a little nutmeg on top & present in a festive dish or bowl.  The real pumpkin flavor is ever so subtle, the nutmeg & sage give it the perfect fall flavor. And these were extremely easy, messy, but easy.  I promise to share the rav recipe on here one day, it's much more work, but ever so yummy!

4 comments:

  1. Yum!!! This is totally up my alley, I can't wait to try it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are seriously so good and sooo easy!! I'm sure you'll love them!

      Delete
  2. Do you think these cheese would be easy to leave out or is it essential to the recipe? I really want to try these, I just don't like cheese :/ By the way, I added your button to my page. Thank you for featuring mine on your page too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for swapping buttons!! You can absolutely leave the cheese out, it's basically just to add a little flavor some melted butter and nutmeg or slat and pepper would be all you really need!!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog! I read & try to reply to every comment via e-mail so if you don't get a reply from me you might be a no-reply blogger!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs
Graphic by OctopusArtis