Wednesday, December 11, 2013

self administered injections

Monday I had my baseline ultrasound done in Peoria.  I already have a follicle that's around 12mm so we are hoping that it has not been "recruited" yet & the injections will allow more follicles to grow. This will better our chances of conception.  Before my appointment I received a box of about $500 worth of medication.  I definitely had sticker shock, but my insurance has covered pretty much everything & these are considered to be specialty medications so I knew that I probably had a co-pay on them.  Most cost me around $40, but the co-pay on the injections was $280!


The injections have to be assembled & administered by yours truly!  The doctor was very thorough and even let me practice on in the office after showing me what to do.  It's very similar to an epi-pen so it's pretty easy. Assembling the pen is not at all what scared me, administering it had turned me into a nervous wreck, but I decided not to ask about Joe doing it & decided that I would try it myself, with is moral support of course. The needle is teeny tiny, and it's only a 75mg dose which is pretty small. This morning after I got ready for work around 5:45am I did it. I got everything ready and stood there for about 2 minutes laughing nervously while Joe watched & told me just to do it. I did, and I felt nothing. All of my fears were pretty much laughable at this point when I realized I was worked up over nothing.  

I go back on Friday for another ultrasound so that they can see if the follicle I already had has been "recruited" and will be the only one, or if the injections worked as they should & I have more than one.  The doctor said that sometimes the Clomid which I took last time could still be signaling the pituitary gland & that is why I already have a follicle so early in my cycle.  So, fingers crossed that the injections will create more follicles so that our chances of conception will be higher.  On Friday they will determine if I need to start administering another injection that I received.  Then the 3rd injection is taken the day before the IUI is done.  Lots of shots this time around.  

I want to document this process as closely as possible.  I want to be able to look back on this & remember what I went through to have a child.  It's not for the faint of heart.  It has only made me stronger as a woman, & Joe and I stronger as a married couple.  Although this was never how I imagined us conceiving our children, this process will make us appreciate parenthood so much more.  Of course everyone's child is special to their parents, everyone's journey is different, I am not speaking for anyone else but us, that our baby will be an extremely special gift for us.  I would've been ecstatic if I would have conceived naturally, but I had an inkling that we might struggle.  I'm not sure why, I think it's just because we just have that type of luck.  But I am willing to do whatever it takes for us to be successful with this process.  I hope that anyone else out there that is struggling will feel like they have someone to relate to, or someone to use a reference tool.  It's so reassuring to find and talk to women who have gone through similar situations & find a sense of normalcy when something doesn't go according to plan.  I appreciate all of the sweet comments, messages, emails, & texts that I have received throughout this process of people who are praying for us & people who have stories of their own that they have been willing to share.  It has been so amazing the support that we have received & I can't thank everyone enough for that.  

13 comments:

  1. Once upon a time, I was an egg donor for a friend, so I know ALL about giving myself injections. It wasn't too bad, and you get used to it! I definitely had track marks on my legs though for a few weeks haha at least it's winter!

    Girl, I'm praying for you, and I know that things will work out! Keep smiling, and know that it will happen in God's perfect timing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, really?? You definitely know what I'm going thru then!! Appreicate the prayers!

      Delete
  2. Amazing and inspirational as always. I feel awkward blogging, but your blog will motivate me to learn the blogging ropes! Good luck, your baby dust will be sent out today <3

    You're such a brave and honest person, I am so glad I found you on IG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darlin!! I'm so glad you found me as well!!! Glad you decided to rejoin the blogging world!! Looking forward to the baby dust! <3

      Delete
  3. Thinking of you!!!! Hope this cycle goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, I have been astonishing myself with what I am capable of because of this. <3

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. You're too sweet. It's amazing what we will do to achieve our dreams!

      Delete
  6. I love that you're sharing your story and journey. Many women would be scared or embarrassed. You are very brave! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you! I honestly know a lot of people that have had trouble conceiving so trust me you are not the only one. I documented my miscarriage and the process of us trying to have another baby and I'm grateful I did. It's nice to be able to look back and see how far we came.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so amazing- you got this! You & Joe both! It will just take some extra steps which, like you said, can only make you stronger as a married couple and as future PARENTS! Fingers are crossed and prayers sent your way!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog! I read & try to reply to every comment via e-mail so if you don't get a reply from me you might be a no-reply blogger!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs
Graphic by OctopusArtis