Today was our WTF appointment with Dr. G. Joe was unable to go because he is really busy with work right now and couldn't take the time off so my mom decided to join me so she could finally meet Dr. G and his team. I was happy to have the moral support and a second ear.
We went over all of our stats, we have 5 remaining early blastocysts left, all AA grade. I've responded perfectly to the Lupron and all other medications. What it basically boils down to is that having multiple failed cycles of IVF in the world of science is normal and, although it's hard not to feel discouraged, we shouldn't according to our doctor. The IVF success rate is 40% which is good, but it leaves a 60% chance of failure. Dr. G is still confident that this will work for us. We discussed transferring two embryos, but I told him I was only comfortable with one and he agreed with me.
I did ask my list of questions starting with an endo scratch and an endo biopsy, neither of which he said is proven to contribute to IVF success and he does not recommend. He said that if we did do a biopsy that we would have to wait another cycle after the biopsy was performed because the endometrium would be damaged during the procedure.
We discussed the PDG testing of the embryos, but with only one left that was fertilized via ICSI and with it already being a day-5 embryo, we cannot test it. We talked about another fresh cycle with possible testing, but said that since we had genetic blood work done on ourselves already that he doesn't recommend another fresh cycle because of the results of that testing, my age, and my health. He basically said that in 36 years they've come long way with IVF, but all that they can do is make the embryo, place it back inside, and wait to see what happens, they have no control once that embryo is inside the uterus. It's up to your body and nature to perform and if an embryo is abnormal, chances are it's not going to implant. He said that over 50% of embryos are abnormal and most of the time the body will reject those embryos since the whole point of our reproductive system is to create a healthy baby that will eventually be able to reproduce. There are of course, some exceptions to this, and there is always a chance that an abnormal embryo could implant.
What we've basically decided is to move forward with another frozen transfer in the exact same way that we did with the last transfer. I haven't gotten a date yet, but I am supposed to call tomorrow to speak with the IVF nurse coordinator and make the arrangements. It should be at the end of October, early November.
I feel confident and happy with the consultation and the decision to move forward. Dr. G has been in the business for a long time, he has a great sense of humor, and if he is confident in me as a patient then I am confident in him as my doctor. Although I was a little disappointed initially about not doing any of the testing that I had inquired about, I didn't feel any doubt as I left the appointment. We are still taking a chance by not having our embryos tested for chromosomal abnormalities, but that is a chance that I'm willing to take at this time. Out of 7 of our embryos we have used 2. With a 50% chance of abnormality, we are still taking a gamble. Dr. G said that my "unlimited" insurance coverage is another reason to jump right into another cycle and after our discussion today, for now, I am OK with everything and ready to move forward with this next transfer.