Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Keep Moving Forward... Our New Plan


Warning: Lengthy Post!


Yesterday we had our IVF consultation and met Dr. Loret de Mola (I’ll refer to him as Dr. LdM for short) for the first time.  My overall first impression of him is good.  He is very serious and knowledgeable and explained things exceedingly well which Joe and I both noticed right away and is a quality that is important to me.  He has some things that he wants us to do initially before we start a cycle and I was happy to hear his concerns and how he wants to address them.


First off, a hysteroscopy, using a camera to examine the cervix and the uterus, will be done as soon as my period comes, probably in the next 8-10 days.  I will also start a LH surge indicator around the same time in preparation for an endometrial biopsy.  Dr. LdM has concerns about why the embryos have not implanted after 3 cycles.  The endometrial biopsy will test for Beta-3 Integrin, it’s a protein that is necessary for implantation and is only present in a small window of a cycle, hence why I am doing the LH surge indicator.  The biopsy needs to be done within a certain timeframe.  It will be sent off to a lab and they will test for the protein.  If it’s present, then we’ve ruled out that as an issue, if it’s not then another protocol will be added to my cycle.  He is also going to take some specific bloodwork at one of these two appointments.  The endo biopsy is something that I asked my previous doctor for and he said he didn’t feel it was necessary.


Once these two procedures are done we can move forward with an IVF cycle.  He wants me to do a one-time dose of Lupron Depot which differs from the Lupron that suppresses ovulation.  A Lupron Depot is what is used to prevent and diminish endometriosis.  I had never been given a real diagnosis from my previous doctor and when I had my lap, he said that he removed some endo, but never indicated what stage I had.  Dr. LdM believes that I have Stage II-Mild which is more than what I thought I actually had.  I’ve been lucky that it’s never been debilitating for me, but it something that we need to address.  The Lupron Depot is good for 30 days and will be taken at the beginning of my cycle while I’m taking BCP.


For the actual IVF cycle he wants to see me on less FSH (the drug that makes the eggs) than my previous fresh which was 200units x day.  He said that I respond too well which is a problem; he wants to see me on 150 or 100units and then monitor me every couple days to see how I am responding.  He said that once you get to 20+ follicles, their quality reduces significantly.  If you recall, last time I had 34 follicles which is too many.  He wants to see between 10-15.  I have two options for trigger, either a Lupron or an Ovidrel trigger which we will determine when we get closer to starting meds.  They will also have me on a steroid, Medrol along with Doxycycline for an antibiotic.  I’ve never had a steroid in my protocol before, but it is something that I’ve wanted so I’m happy to add that.


For fertilization he said we do not need ICSI (where they take an individual sperm in a needle and inject it into an egg) this time.  Some believe that ICSI is “better”, but in reality, it isn’t necessarily better for everyone.  If you don’t have MFI (male factor infertility), then ICSI is not needed.  He said that most often they will ICSI your best follicles leaving the lower quality follicles to fertilize on their own.  For me this could be part of the problem.  I had more embryos fertilize on their own than I did with ICSI.  I’m happy that we aren’t doing things that we don’t need.  He was happy with Joe’s semen analyses that he’s had.  I am definitely the problem, which is tough, but we have known that for a while.  I am thrilled that we are doing some different things to try to solve this problem and beat this. 


We will not be doing PGS/PGD at this time.  He said that it’s very expensive and wouldn’t be a huge benefit to us.  He did say that they have new technology recently approved by the FDA about 3 weeks ago called Eeva.  Its non-invasive testing that is done to the embryos to aid in picking the best ones.  What it basically does is flashes a beam of light into special incubators that the embryos are in every 90 seconds and they can watch the embryos develop much closer and pick the best ones.  The only downside is they only have 3 incubators so they can only do this for 3 people at a time.  He said we are great candidates for it, but it will depend on availability at the time of our cycle.  Please cross your fingers that we will be able to use this technology.  You even get a video of your embryos and get to see how they grew over the 3-5 days in the incubators.  I think it’s awesome that they are so open to using such a new technology and I’m really hoping that we get to be part of it!


The last thing he asked me is why, if I already have 4 frozen embryos do I not want to use those first.  I told him that I refuse to keep doing the same thing over and over.  My previous doctor was not open to changing the protocol and did not seem to monitor some of the vital things that Dr. LdM thinks we should be watching.  I told him that I was afraid that they would just push transferring 2 embryos on me and that is not something I’m open to at this time.  I told him that after 3 failed IVF cycles and no changes to how things were being done that a second opinion and a fresh outlook were necessary, at least in my mind.  He said that was fair and that he understood my concerns. 


Joe and I are both really happy with Dr. LdM and are excited for what’s to come.  I feel a lot better about things and I don’t feel nearly as anxious to get things started as I have been in the past.  I’m not wishing my days away, I’m just taking things as they come.  I think this 4 month break that we’ve been on has been such a blessing and what we really needed.  This is what will hopefully work for me and my situation, everyone is different so I hope that no one takes any offense to anything that I’ve said in this post.  Thank you all so much for following along and supporting us on this journey!

30 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have a great doctor that is willing to try something different for you. I love having renewed faith in a cycle. Can't wait to follow along and cheer you guys on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that your new doctor is being thorough and listening to your concerns. That is huge! I also had a steroid introduced during my third cycle as well as a Lupron trigger. I am praying that you are able to take advantage of the new technology and that your cycle yields success! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that you've had a similar protocol! Thanks so much!!

      Delete
  3. I love following and supporting your journey! Serious love and prayers! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That all sounds like such positive and encouraging news. It sounds like you really made the right decision in getting a second opinion. I'm looking forward to following this part of your journey. I'm sending you lots of positive thoughts and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Dr. sounds like he is very great. I hope everything works out for you girl.. I will be praying for you girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like your second opinion visit went well!! It's great to know you have a plan and a Dr that is willing to take a look at a few things you are wanting checked out. I feel like we just know and have a feeling about our own bodies. Of course the Dr. has the knowledge but I think sometimes we know what's better for us as an individual :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like how he listened to your concerns and wishes and incorporated them into his plan. Sounds like this is a great match for you! Can't wait to hear how things progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay I am so glad you loved this Dr. Thinking about you often, and praying this is YOUR year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like this new Dr. Is it for you guys! Praying everything continues to go great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like this new doctor is great for you guys! I'm so happy for you that he is trying some different things and I hope that things go well for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This Doctor sounds positive and while the info may be a lot and I can imagine overwhelming, it really seems like he knows his stuff so good for you. Hoping everything works out well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so happy that this new doctor is listening to you! It seems like he has a wealth of knowledge for you and will support you in your decisions. We are PRAYING!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This doctor sounds wonderful! You know I'm here cheering you on and sending lots of love and prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!!!! I'm so super excited for this new dr!!! He really seems so knowledgeable and more personable than the previous one. I'm so pumped for yall. It seems like he will hold your hand until you finally get the desired results!!!! So very exciting!!!! What is the purpose of the antibiotics & steroids?

    ReplyDelete
  15. ok I promise I read the whole thing even if I didn't understand it all. I am really hoping these new procedures and whatnot actually work - that is great that the doctor isn't doing things you don't need - and fingers crossed that you can be one of the 3 people for the fancy new technology! seriously all my fingers and toes are crossed. wishing you both all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so excited for you! This sounds really close to what my second RE used as protocol. And I got pregnant that round. Praying for you and your husband! I can't wait to hear how this round goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome thank you for sharing!!! That's what I like to hear!

      Delete
  17. I am so excited and happy for you girl! I'm glad you like your new Dr and things seem to be going well! All of these procedures are WAAYYYYY over my head but I love reading about your journey and seeing how positive you stay. You are such an inspiration girl!

    <3, Pamela
    Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  18. Girl! You are on top of it! Either you have a good memory or you take great notes! So glad you are at peace with him and what is next!!!! You rock xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, sounds like you have a great new plan in place and that this new doctor is a perfect fit for you! I hope that with some of the new testing & treatment we will finally be hearing a out your BFP!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My hubby was never diagnosed with any male fertility issues but I think ICIS was a life saver. Out of 12 eggs that were fertilized in total, only one occurred naturally and the other 11 were from ICIS. Crazy how that happens! It really seems like this doc will be WAY more helpful. I am glad to hear that he has so many suggestions. I had the same surgery done (I had a hyst. and a lap) at the same time... and you'll be a champ. It took me about a week to recover, but it was well worth knowing. Good luck my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. whew girl! It sounds like he has you on a good game plan! I'm so excited for you and I see great things happening in you future. I think you are such an encouragement and inspiration to all of us that when thing aren't going well...to keep going. You are awesome! xo

    waitingforbabybird.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Once again I love ur new plan. I had no idea u weren't using methyl and antibiotics with ur protocol. My clinic uses that with fresh and FETs. Sounds like this new RE is the one for u!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad that you guys are making such progress and getting closer. It can be such a long lonely road, but totally worth it in the end. You're amazing. We battled for a while, although nothing like this. Praying this works!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so glad you've found a doctor that seems to understand you!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It sounds like you have a good plan. I'm really surprised that he didn't think PGS was worthwhile for you guys. But you have faith in a new plan and that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  26. thank you for keeping us updated on your journey. praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I already feel like this Dr is so much more thorough just based on the process and details that you've shared! It sounds like the perfect plan and I'm glad that this second opinion sounds to be working out as planned!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just had a chance to catch up on your blog and this is great!! We did Eeva as part of a free study at our clinic and it's pretty cool. We transferred all our embryos which ended up being high quality so it didn't really assist in embryo selection. But it was great to know the real grading and we got awesome videos and photos of the embabies!! I think the break is a good thing too. I feel this cycle is IT!! Looking forward to your BFP!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog! I read & try to reply to every comment via e-mail so if you don't get a reply from me you might be a no-reply blogger!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs
Graphic by OctopusArtis