So lots of people have been asking what the outcome of our inspection was, and as I had expected, we did not pass the first time. However, this is not uncommon and it's all totally fixable and OK! I thought I would explain a little bit of how this process works because I've had a lot of questions about why we even need an inspection, why we didn't pass, etc.
Whenever you build a home certain parts of the building process have to be inspected. For instance, our first inspection took place right after our foundation was poured. Our second inspection took place once the shell was built, the wiring was done, and the plumbing was done, that's called a rough-in inspection. It was during this inspection that we were told our bedroom windows did not have a large enough opening and were not up to code with the required dimensions of an "egress" window. Our house is not in town, it's outside of town in the county so we have more specific health and safety codes that we have to follow since we are farther away from emergency services. We don't have a fire hydrant by our house so if there were a fire they would have to pump from the river or bring a tanker truck. Because of this, the codes for the county are more strict. So we went ahead and replaced the double-hung windows (which are not small by any means) in the bedrooms with casement windows that crank out. It was frustrating and expensive, but we really had no choice since the windows did not meet the safety code.
For our occupancy inspection we had to meet a checklist of items and the inspector in our county is tough to work with and really seems to have some complex about the power he holds. Unfortunately we have no other choice so we did everything that he had asked us to, but we still fell short of some of the codes. We did not have hand rails on either side of the steps of the egress doors of the house (front door, back sliding door, and door leading from house to garage), our smoke alarms are all wired together but are not all sounding at the same time, a couple of our GFI outlets were wired backwards (Joe in a hurry to get it done), no lid on the sump pump, mostly easy fixes and we pretty much have everything checked off the list, there was about 10 different things, nothing serious, that we need to do in order to get him back out.
Another thing we learned (or I learned I guess) is that there is a difference between and occupancy permit and final inspection. When Joe called the 800# to schedule the inspection, he asked for final rather than occupancy so the inspector pointed out things like our siding not being 100% finished and that we don't have address numbers visible from the road. When we call back this week we will specifically ask just for an occupancy inspection rather than a final.
Although it was discouraging Friday to hear that we hadn't passed, we couldn't be any closer than we are now. I am confident we will receive occupancy this week and be able to start moving in. Of course we have 2 weddings this upcoming weekend, but in all the spare minutes that I have I will be cramming my car full of stuff and try to put a little bit of a dent into moving out of my parents basement. We have been spending the last 3 weekends at the house and it's such a pain to transport overnight bags, laundry baskets, the dog, and everything else that you need to live back and forth between homes and I really just can't wait to start making our house a home! Thank you all for the luck you had wished us, I know that it will only be a matter of days before we can finally call it done!